Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Best and Worst Restaurants I've been to while traveling

Its 3 AM in Madrid on Christmas and because of jetlag I'm wide awake. Here are a few of the best and worst restaurants and foods I've tried, in no particular order.

Best

Kızılkayalar, Istanbul - This busy store in Istanbul only serves one item: a unique burger. The burger is completely surrounded by a bun and a mystery sauce. I'm not a huge burger fan but I managed to eat a couple anyway.

Burritos, Mission District, San Francisco - San Francisco is the birthplace of the burrito that we are familiar with, and there is no better place to get them than the Mission District. There is a place selling tamales and burritos at nearly every corner, and its tough to go wrong. Fresh salsa, beans, and rice make for a delicious and filling meal.

House of India, Bermuda - When I visited Bermuda, I wasn't expecting to have great Indian food. The fresh fish from the local waters plus the traditional Indian recipes made for a very tasty meal. The restaurant uses its resources, the ingredients that are common in the area, while still making the Indian specialities that are well known.

Worst

Hot Dog, Horseshoe Bay Beach, Bermuda - This is possibly the worst meal I've ever eaten. On the beautiful pink sand beach in Bermuda, one restaurant has a monopoly on the hungry beach crowd. They take advantage of this by selling horrid food for obnoxious prices. I paid $10 for a hot dog that was dry, old, and overall unappetizing.

Pickled Herring, Amsterdam, the Netherlands - In this Dutch speciality, a pickle is wrapped in a piece of fish. I'm not sure what I expected...

Tourist Traps, Everywhere - In any location with heavy tourism, there are bound to be tourist traps. They are likely in close proximity to an attraction. They most likely serve inauthentic cuisine for exorbitant prices. Unfortunately, these are unavoidable when traveling, and many people are fooled and subsequently ripped off.

These were just a few foods and restaurants that came to my mind, there are many, many more.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey don't forget about In' and Out.
    http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_jmg9owo9/

    ReplyDelete